Tuesday, November 17, 2009

The scoop on Spence

Everyone knows that Scott and I have been raising a non-eater and non-sleeper. Up until he was a year, he stayed in the 20ish percentile for weight. However, once he went off formula it consistently dropped...down to 10th, then 5th, and as of now he's not on the charts. He weighed 21 pounds at his 1 year doctor appointment and 23 pounds at his 2 year appointment. When I went to his 2 year appointment, while the doctor and I were discussing his weight, out of the blue she asked, "Does he snore?" I was a little taken back, because it didn't seem relevant, but yes he does snore. We then changed the subject to his sleeping patters. It took forever for him to sleep all the way through the night, and now that he does, he snores. So the doctor and I managed to come up with a conclusion, drawing both his sleeping and eating patterns together....his tonsils. Little kids with huge tonsils don't eat that great, simply because it's harder...not enough space in their throat for food. Also kids with huge tonsils suffer from sleep apnea. They stop breathing in their sleep because their tonsils cut down the size of their airway. So their brains constantly have to wake them up to breath, thus never fully going to sleep.
I took Spencer to an ear, nose, and throat doctor, and we have concluded to take Spencer's tonsils out. I have talked to several people who have had to deal with the same issue, and they have all said that it is like night and day when the tonsils are out. Their kids slept better, and gained an appetite. Spencer is scheduled to get his tonsils out on November 30th, and we are crossing our fingers that it will help.

1 comment:

Jordan + Amber + Camryn + Brighton said...

It's been a few weeks, how have things been? Any differences? Is he even wanting to try foods that he didn't eat much of before?