Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Feeding the Ducks


My older sister likes to take her two kids down to Ann Morrison Park, to feed the ducks. I rarely go with her, due to my fear of birds; they're frightening. I had a terrifying incident with a dumb bird, named Petey....long story...and now I hate birds. My sister decided to take her kids to feed the ducks today, before it gets too cold. I knew that Spencer would love it, so we decided to go. I borrowed one of those kid harnesses, and lease, to put on Spencer; I knew that he would want to get closer than I would. Like I figured, Spencer loved it. He loved running into a big flock of birds, and watching them fly away. He also kept getting uncomfortably close to the geese, I defiantly don't trust the geese. Everything was going fine, until Spencer spotted a seagull. This seagull was walking right on the edge of the bank, right where the pond started. Spencer was a few feet behind it, and just followed it. I figured the seagull would just fly away, or jump in the water...but it just kept walking. It was going fast enough so Spencer couldn't catch it....but not terribly fast, it didn't seem to be too scared. I decided to pull the camera out and video tape him. As I fumble it out of my pocket and try to turn it into recorder mode, I notice that Spencer had walked into a huge mud pile. It was bizarre because this mud pile was only a few feet long. There was sand around the entire pond, but no mud...except for this one spot. He, of course, fell down. As I came to grab him, I realized that it wasn't mud....it was a huge pile of bird crap. I don't have the slightest clue as to how so much bird crap could end up in one big messy, mud-like, pile...but it did. Luckily I was only a few feet away, so I could grab him before his hands could get anywhere near his mouth. I had to run him over to my sister, who held his hands while I ran to the car to get wipes. And of course, there were no wipes! You would think that two people, with three kids who all wear diapers, would have some wipes. Luckily I had a thing of Kleenex and a first aid kit. This kit had a whole sleeve full of sanitary wipes, soap towelettes, and alcohol wipes. So with those, and a whole bottle of hand sanitizer we cleaned him up. Then he got stripped down, and we went home. We were only there about ten minutes or so. Can't have much more fun than that!

2 comments:

Michael and Jaime said...

You and Spencer do so many fun things togetther! You are such a great mom. The little outting that you do are the things I am missing out on by working and it kills me. I'm glad someone gets to have fun doing it! Is Spencer talking a lot more? Miss you guys!

Jordan + Amber + Camryn + Brighton said...

Oh boy! Sounds like a messy day! I'm glad he enjoyed himself for the first 4 minutes :D I imagine the last 6 were of you 2 trying to clean him up!
ha ha leave it to Spence, and ANY little kid for that fact, to find the mess in ANYTHING!! :]